Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Fragrant Mistake

Bath & Body Works products smell heavenly. I believe this to be a fact. Add a sale on their products, and I have died and gone to heaven. So, last December when I was shopping at the Bath & Body Works at Woodfield Mall, their Moisturizing Hand Soap seemed like a glorious find.

It was on sale in cucumber melon and my new favorite scent, midnight pomegranate. Of course it was get 3 for $15, so I gave dancing waters a try. Not only did it smell delectable, but offered the added bonus of moisturizing. By mid-January, my family suffers from red chapped dry hands that look like we have been washing our hands in acid. So, adding moisturizer and not having to follow my sons around with the lotion after every wash seemed genius.

After living with this soap, I am sorry to say it was a bad purchase. It fails to lather on your hands. It does a great job making bubbles in the sink as it is slipping off your hands. (Which my 6 year old took note of right away and conducted many "baths" for his rubber duck with it.) Any soap drips on the sink turned into cement. Having 2 school age boys and bath happy rubber duck, I have a lot of cucumber melon and dancing water drips cemented onto the sink. Whether it is pride or thriftiness, I refuse to just pitch a product. I just vow to make a better purchase each time I use the offending product. It took some deep breaths, but usually works for me. So, when I saw the soap was getting used up I was excited. It gets used up fast because it takes so much soap to actually wash your hands, plus bubble baths for the duck. However for a 6 inch tall bottle, I was annoyed to see the dispenser stop working with 2 inches left at the bottom. Not only was it a bad product but the bottle is a faulty design. I should have introduced it to the trash at this time, but I persevered in the name of a sale. So, I added water. The nasty soap separated into equal parts suds and cement with the cement at the bottom. It is an impressive gradient of color, and only the water squirts out at about eye level.

My family had milder cases of acid hands this winter, but I was still chasing them with the hand lotion. I ended up with drier hands from extra scrubbing of the sink. Next time, I will stick with the foaming hand soap at Bath & Body Works. Even if there is a sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment