Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Logging Time In Neverland

My sons took the journey with me to Neverland. 

It was exquisite. 


Honestly, the Disney movie never held my attention or my sons' attention past the part where the Darling children learn to fly. So, I wasn't sure if the book would fly in our house. Being a new year I was determined to start imparting some knowledge of the childhood classics on the boys and myself. So while they were doing their nightly wrestling session with Daddy, I perused our bookshelves for a classic which could capture their attention immediately following the final body slam. "Peter Pan" by J.M. Barrie caught my eye just as the match came to an end. This particular version is part of the Junior Classics for Young Readers condensed by Wendi Lowery.  After attempting some other classics, condensed was really appealing to try for my 5 and 7 year old.


The boys and I were captivated by the story in the beginning, much the way we were with the movie. I found some of the passages precious and unforced told in prose rather than a script. For instance, the description of Mrs. Darling tidying her children's dreams was a clean and tender explanation of what any mother would want of their children's dreams. Austin wanted to know if he could be Peter Pan and Alex wanted to clarify if it was fiction or non-fiction. The places and descriptions seemed so real and matter of fact I understood why he was confused. Always the fact checker and very grounded child, Alex was a little surprised to be whisked away. Peter Pan managed to close the very large gap of both my children's imaginations. While Austin pondered how he could meet Tinkerbell, Alex was hanging on every word of the conflicts and politics of Neverland.


The book is well adapted. The power of the story and the spirit is present on every page. The timing is well done to the extent that the story doesn't seem choppy as some condensed versions can be. 
 
It is rare for a classic to captivate my family in this way. Usually there needs to be references to bodily function or criminal mischief to keep everyone interested over a couple nights. When I reach back into the past for books to read to my boys, I often am let down and disappointed. Classic books often lose some of the magic and energy as an adult, unless it is a great book. Peter Pan was a story I had always been surrounded by but never submerged in as a child. So, this adventure was new to all of us. And I am so glad we took it. Peter Pan spanned the ages and the various personalities in my family that sat for the readings.





No comments:

Post a Comment